Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Log Rescue
SQL Log Rescue forum

Log Rescue generating an exception

Search in SQL Log Rescue forum
Jump to:  
kevine323

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Log Rescue generating an exception Reply with quote

When attaching a log file to the application, I get the following exception in the post processing of the log.

RedGate.LogRescue.UI.exe
Application has generatd an exception that could not be handled.

Process id= 0xaec (2796), Treah id=0xe14 (3604)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

Like all of our code that's written in .NET, these types of exceptions are thrown from .NET's mscorlib, so our program hadn't even successfully loaded. I'd recommend perhaps installing or reinstalling Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 to fix the problem.

Hopefully that'll get it!
kevine323

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Log Rescue generating an exception Reply with quote

FYI: Since I am also supporting SQL 2005 (which requires .net 2.0) this could present a problem. I'll give is a shot and let you know what i find out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kevine323

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Log Rescue generating an exception Reply with quote

No luck reinstalling .net 1.1. The problem only occurs about 25% of the time though, so I dont know why it would load most of the time but not all.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

What steps do we need to perform to reproduce the problem?
kevine323

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tell you about our setup

Server:
SQL 2000 SP3
4GB Memory
4GB DB with Full Recovery Mode

Client:
Freshly loaded Windows 2000 SP4
MDAC 2.8
.Net Framework 1.1

The extended stored procedure is installed on our server. The client machine is running the SQL Log Rescue (SLR). When I create a new project with SLR, I specify the server and database. At the next screen, I include our transaction log backup file (xxxxxx.bak) and proceed to the next screen. Everything runs normal until SLR gets to the post processing portion. That's when the exception is thrown.
Kevin.Eckart@usa-truck.com
http://kevine323.blogspot.com/
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

Log Rescue really needs a full database backup file to function properly. You'd mentioned that you'd specified a transaction log backup only. Have you got a full backup file for the database that you can specify?

Thanks!
kevine323

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, thank you for your reply, I will try this and get back with you. It's very odd that my method of only specifying the log file that I want to read would work 75% of the time. I'll let you know how the testing goes.
Brian Donahue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

Log Rescue shouldn't be 'crashing' in any case. The design of the software is supposed to cope with this sort of situation, really, the idea being that 'if it can't get everything back it can get back as much as possible'. But I think it would be a good idea to give the software all of the information it needs to work 100% correctly. There may be some sort of issue there, such as a schema change, that would potentially cause a null-reference problem.
kevine323

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian, I thought the same thing about maybe there was a schema change and for some reason it couldnt handle it. So I restored the latest DB and a Log from that day and still got the same error. I'll keep looking.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1