Notes & articles
Activating your products
This article relates to the following Red Gate products, and any later versions:
- ANTS Memory Profiler 7.3
- ANTS Performance Profiler 7.3
- SmartAssembly 6.7.1
For help with activating other products, please see the following:
- Activating .NET Reflector Pro
- Activating Exchange Server Archiver
- Activating SQL Backup
- Licensing the SQL Comparison SDK
- Activating SQL HyperBac
- Activating SQL Monitor
- Activating SQL Response
- Activating SQL Storage Compress
- Activating SQL Virtual Restore
- Activating other Red Gate products
Overview of activation
When you download and install a product from Red Gate Software, you have a 14 day trial period in which you can evaluate the product. When your trial period expires, you are invited to purchase the product. If you need more time to evaluate the product, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
When you purchase the product, you are sent an invoice that contains your serial number. You use the serial number to activate the product. If you cannot find your invoice, you can review your serial numbers at http://www.red-gate.com/myserialnumbers. Note that if you purchased a bundle of products, this serial number activates all of the products in the bundle except for SQL Backup, SQL Response, and SQL Multi Script.
When you activate the product, the licensing and activation program sends an activation request to the Red Gate activation server, using checksums of attributes from your computer. The checksums that are sent to the activation server do not contain any details that might pose a security risk. The activation server returns an activation response and an encrypted key to unlock the software. The licensing and activation program should activate your product within a few seconds.
If you are experiencing problems with activating your products, you will be offered the option to activate manually. For example, you will need to use manual activation if:
- your computer is not connected to the Internet
- your network uses a proxy server that interrupts contact between the product and the Red Gate activation server
Activation should work with proxies configured in the Internet Options applet in the Windows Control Panel. However, it will not work when:
- the proxy settings specify an automatic configuration script
- the proxy requires authentication, which cannot be transparently handled by Windows
- the proxy filters out SOAP packet data or XML data
- activation is unsuccessful (see Troubleshooting licensing and activation errors)
If you are reinstalling products on the same computer, for example following installation of a new operating system, you can re-activate the products using the same serial number (this does not affect the number of distinct activations for the serial number). To install products on a different computer, you can deactivate the products on the old computer using the deactivation tool, and then re-activate them on the new computer.
For general questions about licensing and links to useful web pages, see Licensing and activation resources.
To activate your products
- On the Help menu, click Enter Serial Number.
The product activation dialog box is displayed, for example:
- Enter your serial number.
When you have entered a valid serial number, is displayed next to the serial number box:
For information about the optional fields, see Optional information.
- Click Activate.
Your activation request is sent to the Red Gate activation server.
When your activation has been confirmed, the Activation successful page is displayed, for example:
If there is a problem with your activation request, an error dialog box is displayed. For information about activation errors and what you can do to resolve them, see Licensing and activation errors. Depending on the error, you may want to try manual activation.
- Click Close.
You can now continue to use your product.
The licensing client allows you optionally to enter an identifier and an email address. Providing this information helps your company track the Red Gate licenses it owns.
- To set an identifier, in Activate as: select one of the identifiers provided. The formats available are:
Your company's software auditing policy may define which identifier to choose.
- If required by your company, enter an email address.
The list of identifiers and your email address may already be populated using information available to the licensing client from the Windows installation on your computer. No information is sent back to Red Gate when the fields are populated.
When you activate your product, the optional information you entered is recorded by Red Gate with your serial number.
The data is used only to assist with software auditing. In particular, we will not link your license information to the data collected should you consent to participate in the Quality Improvement Program provided with some Red Gate products.
Manual activation enables you to activate products when your computer does not have an Internet connection or your Internet connection does not allow SOAP requests. You will need access to another computer that does have an Internet connection.
You can use manual activation whenever the Activation Error dialog box is displayed and the Activate Manually button is available, for example:
To activate manually:
- On the error dialog box, click Activate Manually.
The Activate using the Red Gate Web site dialog box is displayed, for example:
- Copy all of the activation request, and leave this dialog box open (if you close the dialog box, you may have to start again).
Alternatively you can save the activation request, for example to a location on your network or to a USB device.
- On a computer that has an Internet connection, go to the Manual Activation page of the Red Gate Web site at http://www.red-gate.com/activate and paste the activation request into the box under Step 1.
- Click Get Activation Response.
- When the activation response is displayed under Step 2, copy all of it.
Alternatively you can save the activation response.
- On the computer where the licensing and activation program is running, paste the activation response or if you saved it, load it from the file.
- Click Finish.
The Activation successful page is displayed.
- Click Close.
You can now continue to use your product.
Was this article helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!