Red Gate forums :: View topic - SQLMonitor4 user - Also evaluating Idera SQL Diagnostics man
Return to www.red-gate.com RSS Feed Available

Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Monitor 4
SQL Monitor 4 forum

SQLMonitor4 user - Also evaluating Idera SQL Diagnostics man

Search in SQL Monitor 4 forum
Jump to:  
mark_anderson_us

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: SQLMonitor4 user - Also evaluating Idera SQL Diagnostics man Reply with quote

Hi All

I've been using Red-gate SQL monitor for a few years and was at a conference recently where I got to see Idera's SQL Diagnostic Manager. I have a trial installed alongside Red-gate.

This is not meant to be a side-by-side comparison or "red-gate doesn't do this", just trying to figure out if I'm missing something in red-gate or if something's coming that I see in Idera. Ultimately, we need to decide which direction we will head in next few weeks.

Firts off, red-gate was way easier to install and configure to get you e-mail notifications ASAP. Of course a lot of the alerts need tailoring over time.

Some of the nice things Idera has:

Much richer dashboard (I guess they have the advantage being a native app). Charts are much easier to read
    Pre-configured alerts for low page life expectancy
    Pre-configured alerts for high OS paging rate
    Pre-configured alerts for sessions using a lot of tempdb space
    Pre-configured alerts for log and data file autogrowth
    Pre-configured alerts for high fragmentation on indexes
    Pre-configured alerts on high average disk queue length

We're going to be implementing AlwaysOn Availability groups soon. I hear Red-gate doesn't current monitor these.

Can anyone comment on any of these?

Regards

mark
Colin Millerchip

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Since I work for Red Gate, I'm naturally biased... Very Happy ... so I'm going to mostly leave this for others to comment on. However, I did want to at least comment on a couple of things:

Firstly, SQL Monitor does provide some support for Always On Availability Groups: this was added in v3.2.1 -- see the release notes here.

Pre-configured alerts: your comment's fair, but SQL Monitor’s Custom Metrics and Alerts functionality can address most if not all of these; and there are some pre-built Custom Metrics/Alerts that can be downloaded directly into SQL Monitor from our the Custom Metrics site (http://sqlmonitormetrics.red-gate.com/) that cover some of the alerts you’ve listed, as well as many others.

Best regards,

Colin.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1