Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SQL Source Control 2
SQL Source Control 2 forum

Change all varchars to nvarchar

Search in SQL Source Control 2 forum
Jump to:  
Paul75uk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Change all varchars to nvarchar Reply with quote

Hi

We want to make a bulk change to all tables - to change all instances of varchar to nvarchar.

Back in the day before SQL Source Control we would have done a find and replace throughout our SQL scripts to do this. We are working in a dev environment where we are yet to go live with the database, so upgrading users isn't an issue.

My question is, is it ok to go to the Tables directory (that is maintained by RedGate SQL Source Control) and do a find a replace here and then commit the changes? Or do I have to make this sort of change in Sql Server Managenment Studio? Or are there any other ideas how to make a change like this.

Thanks,

Paul
David Atkinson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend changing SQL Source Control's own working folder as this isn't a supported scenario.

However, what you can do is to create a new working folder and check out your scripts folder to this, make any changes to the files, and check them in. Provided you're using the 'dedicated' model, you'll be able to return to SQL Source Control and run 'get latest' on these to update your development environments.

David Atkinson
Product Manager
Red Gate Software
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1