Search  | Usergroups |  Profile |  Messages |  Log in  Register 
Go to product documentation
SmartAssembly 6
SmartAssembly 6 forum

/compactdb - file is in use by another process

Search in SmartAssembly 6 forum
Jump to:  
jfleisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: /compactdb - file is in use by another process Reply with quote

Searched and found no posts concerning /compactdb. Surprising since I can't get this option to work on either machine that I've tried. Must be missing something that is needed to make it work.

Code:
C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SmartAssembly 6>SmartAssembly.com /compactdb
SmartAssembly v6.8.0.121
Copyright c Red Gate Software 2005-2013

System.IO.IOException : The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I've tried everything I know to find a process using database.mdb or .ldb but so far I'm unsuccessful at running the /compactdb command on two separate machines that I've tried. One is a developer machine and the other is a production build server.

Using Process Explorer (Run as Admin), I can't see any process that is using database.mdb. I have rebooted the machine. I have ran the smartassembly GUI and found the file in use at that point, but exiting the GUI frees the handle to that file.

Is it possible to successfully use /compactdb and how can it be done? The OS levels are WinServer2012 and Win8.

Thanks,

John
jessica.ramos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry about this--I'm experiencing the same issue on my machine and it looks to be a new bug introduced in version 6.8 ( the /compactdb switch still works when I try with version 6.7 and older). I've logged a bug for it with reference SA-1376-- many thanks for bringing it to our attention!

This is quite a hacky workaround but what one option to successfully use /compactdb for now is to install version 5 of SmartAssembly on your machine (you'll have to uninstall version 6.8 first and then reinstall it after version 5 is set up). You can then run the /compactdb from the SA v.5 installation folder whenever needed.
jfleisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was able to use that work around. Thanks for the link to v5. Thanks also for reporting the bug.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1